Position: Area Manager Fiber Procurement
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Area Manager Fiber Procurement — Fernandina Beach, FL
Please send resumes to Greg Hartley, email@example.com; ph. 404-434-1445
We are looking for an Area Manager responsible for leading the stumpage and open market fiber purchase program for our Fernandina Mill. This position will support the overall region objectives to maintain the lowest cost, highest quality fiber sourcing in support of mill’s forecasted needs while maintaining the highest compliance with safety and environmental requirements. This Area Manager role will lead and develop a team with specific responsibilities to work with external fiber suppliers and private landowners to secure targeted delivered volumes of pulpwood, chips and fuel to the Fernandina Mill system to defined annual targets. The position will be relied on to develop specific strategies focused on achieving strategic targets, developing team members, leading and developing support team initiatives, and ensuring the team provides strong customer service to our mill customer, all while maintaining the highest compliance with safety and environmental requirements.
- Lead, promote, enhance, and model WestRock’s safety and environmentally-conscious culture.
- Assist the Regional Manager in developing and executing the annual strategic purchase and inventory plan to provide the highest value fiber to the digester across the annual cycle by ensuring the open market procurement team identifies and develops fiber sources to ensure a consistent supply of targeted levels of delivered fiber through external purchases.
- Assist in the development of the tactical plans supporting the annual strategy to deliver on mill requirements. Lead the ground level execution of the tactical and strategic plans specific to open market delivered purchases to the mill and satellite purchase locations. Preferred candidates will be able to demonstrate leadership related to the teams robust understanding of market data including the preparation of business strategy recommendations by proactively capturing pertinent market data, evaluating relevance to region strategy, identifying cost savings opportunities, and providing feedback and options to the Area Manager for decision making.
- Lead members of the regional team in the execution of the fiber supply plan with precision and a high sense of urgency, remaining flexible to adjust strategy and tactics given changes in market conditions and/or mill operations to sustain the highest value fiber to the digester across the annual cycle.
- Effectively evaluate fiber opportunities and successfully lead team in negotiating pricing based on true market demands that provide high quality fiber to the digester at lowest possible costs.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders including peers, direct reports, the fiber procurement team, management, landowners, and suppliers in verbal and written form related to relevant operations, strategies, and status of execution. Ensure direct reports understand current inventory and market positions.
- Assist the Regional Manager in the development and reporting of timely and accurate financial information including budgets, forecasts, and projected spending.
- Lead and manage a team of direct reports and develop talent through providing ongoing professional development opportunities for individuals to improve skills, help realize their greatest potential, and increase leadership bench strength for WestRock.
- Represent WestRock in the community by participation in Associations, workshops, and civic and government affairs.
What You Need to Succeed:
Must have 5+ years of Forestry experience specifically related to leading teams and working with external logging / fiber supply operations, purchasing timber from open market sources and managing relationships with multiple external logging / fiber supply operations to maintain targeted and consistent delivered fiber.
Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or related field.
Demonstrated proficiency in data analysis and the use of tools such as Excel for presenting recommendations to leadership.
Preference for candidates with experience managing direct reports or demonstrated capabilities to take on supervisory responsibilities.
Stumpage experience preferred.
What we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.