Company: The St. Joe Company
Location: Watersound, FL
Foster and ensure the effective implementation of company-wide harvest and land management plans while maximizing the value of assigned resources.
- Plan, contract and direct all types of harvesting, forestation and reforestation projects.
- Plan and design forest inventories, gather field data, work up cruise data, update stand records and maps manually and electronically.
- Plan cutting programs to assure continuous production of timber to achieve timber and wildlife habitat management objectives.
- Determine methods of cutting and removing timber with minimum waste and environmental damage and process other forest products.
- Direct control burns and conduct fire prevention programs.
- Plan and direct construction and maintenance of trails, roads, ditches, and fire breaks.
- Assist in planning and implementing projects for control of soil erosion, tree diseases and pests.
- Assist budget creation and administration.
- Monitor BMP and EMS compliance.
- Assist in negotiation, contract administration, and inspection of all forestry related activities such as road construction and maintenance, drainage improvement and other land management projects as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of contractors, rates, and equipment available in each geographic area.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the local, state, and federal forestry organizations, area forest product company representatives and contractors.
- Perform other job related duties and tasks as necessary or as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A four year degree in Forestry or a natural resource related field required.
- Related work experience may substitute for higher degree.
- Florida burn manger certification status or the ability to obtain certification within one year after date of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of plant and animal organizations, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Working knowledge of forestry skills including the use of tools used in timber cruising, photo interpretation, surveying, timber harvesting, road construction, chemical and mechanical site preparation, planning, organizing and other duties that pertain to forest management.
- Experience in contract administration, timber inventory, road work, mapping, surveying, database management, negotiation skills, budgeting and planning preferred.
- Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Effective communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- A working-knowledge of Arc Map, or ability to learn necessary.
- Ability to operate normal office equipment.
- Extensive use of computer.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and provide personal vehicle with business miles reimbursed.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to be outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Normal office environment with occasional travel to other office locations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all duties and responsibilities. The St. Joe Company reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
Contact: Katie Hitchcock