Position: Land Management Specialist
Company: St. Johns River Water Management District
Location: Gainesville, FL
Land Management Specialist
Bureau of Land Resources
This is professional work assisting in the development, implementation and management of SJRWMD’s land management programs.
Job duties include:
- Monitors natural communities for management needs and effects of management activities by conducting inventories of plants, animals, and lands; assists in the development and implementation of the Area Management Plans by providing first-hand knowledge of properties and conducting ground investigations; ensures proper implementation of various land management activities performed by other District employees, volunteers, and contractors. Participates in various land management activities such as restoration, reforestation, timber marking, timber harvesting, contract management, fence and gate repair, and exotic plant removal. Collects and updates data for Geographic Information System database management. Creates work orders for property maintenance as needed. Participates in supervising volunteers, interns or contractors.
- Participates in Fire Management Program activities by drafting burn prescriptions, fire management plans, schedules; locating and constructing fire lines; coordinating activities with other regions, departments, and agencies; conducting actual burns; assisting with wildfire suppression and resource allocation and monitoring the short and long- range effects of the burn program.
- Assists in the coordination of the land management program with other departments, agencies, and lessees by assisting in the formulation of agreements and licenses; ensuring compliance with agreements and licenses; assist in monitoring life estate or other conservation easements when needed; and maintaining contacts with cooperators and lessees.
- Encourages public support for the land management program by assisting in the design, installation, and management of the District’s natural resource-based recreation program including assisting in maintaining public access points, facilities, and trails; responding to public inquiries; conducting tours; making presentations; and attending meetings.
- Protects SJRWMD lands and facilities by assisting in the development of security plans; observing and reporting activities such as vandalism, poaching, and wildfires; and maintaining good relations with local law enforcement personnel.
A bachelor of science degree from an accredited college or university with a major in forestry, ecology, natural resources, wildlife management, natural science or related field; or an associate degree from an accredited college in biology, forest technology or related natural resource field and two years of natural resource management experience.
SJRWMD has determined this to be a mandatory-testing position as described in Section 440.102, Florida Statutes. Any offer of employment for a mandatory-testing position will be contingent upon successful passing a drug screening paid by SJRWMD. The SJRWMD Drug Free Workplace Policy is available for review in the Careers section at www.sjrwmd.com.
Base Salary: $39,894.40
Include Florida Retirement System, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, paid leave and holidays, and professional development.
Your application will receive careful consideration, and if selected for an interview, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment. St. Johns River Water Management District participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an internet based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Veterans’ Preference/Drug-Free and Tobacco-Free Workplace
Closing Date: May 20, 2019